Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Rude Awakening

September 23, 2003
Okay, I hear a beeping noise….maybe it’s my cell phone alarm, it doesn’t sound like that normally, but let’s see. No, it’s not that, it’s only 4:30 a.m.  I hear Suzanne up, “hello”, she says.  I realize I’m not the only one hearing this noise, so I get up to check it out with Suzanne.  The security alarm is beeping away.  Suzanne hops around the corner to get the security code, but it’s not working.  (On hindsight, funny how our first concern is making the alarm stop rather than finding out what set it off.) 

Two minutes later and the screech is now louder and even more piercing.  I find
a phone number on the security box and shout the number out to Suzanne.  They turn it
off remotely.  Suzanne is on the phone with them for a few minutes and then tells us that
the alarm went off b/c the battery was low.  Ha, ha, that was nice, and we’re off to bed
again.  I lay down to get back to sleep and I am jolted awake by a pervasive sense of insecurity. 
A little voice inside of me is telling me to follow my intuition.  Check it out, call the police.  I get out of bed and I see that the motion detector light is on at the front of our house.  This, combined with the security alarm really makes me worry.  I call 999 (the emergency number here).  The dispatcher is not the nicest person in the world to me, but says he’ll send someone out.  Five minutes later, there are three members of the Northern Ireland police service outside our front door.  It is pouring down rain and one of them does not have a rain coat.  The water is soaking through his thin white uniform shirt.  I sort of feel bad for making them come out in the rain.  I don’t see where their car is parked.  They have a look around our yard (the mountain!) with their flashlights.  One of them then comes in our house to search for a back door, but we don’t have one.  He says it all looks fine and says “better safe than sorry”, and they head on their way.

At least I feel a bit better now and can go to sleep.

8:10 a.m. – This time it is my alarm going off.  I get up and discover that the toilet is not flushing.  I’m not too bothered, b/c my experience with Irish and British toilets has told me they are quite tempermental.  I go into the other bathroom to wash my hands and the cold water won’t come on.  I manage to handle the hot water for a few seconds and go about my day. A few minutes later, the housemates have discovered that we have no water at all in the house.  Well, who needed a shower anyways?  Brushing teeth, that’s mere decadence. 

Yeah, well I won’t write about work here b/c John told Grant about my website and Grant wanted to “have a word” with me about it (which is never a good thing, by the way.)  In the end, I’m not to mention that place I work at ten hours a day that begins with a Q.  Censorship at its worst. 

Some more stuff happened today to freak me out, but as someone might read this and interpret it to be something negative about this end of the mountain which is right near to that secret place where I work, I won’t mention the specifics, but just ask me about it and I’ll send out an email to a hundred or so of my closest friends, b/c that’s alright.  And yes, you are correct in assuming that I am bitter. 

But I hope all is well with everyone and feel free to write me an email to help cheer me up! :-)

Lots of love,
Sabrina :-)

Pasted in from archived geocities page on 8/21/14
http://sabrinigreen.geo.do/september.html

No comments: