Monday, September 22, 2003

Driving, Jason and Counseling

September 22, 2003

I drove today!  Yippee yi yay!  I had my first lesson with the driving instructor, Stanley.  I actually drove on the streets (as opposed to the Tesco parking lot).  So, I drove a stick shift on the other side of the road and navigated my way around roundabouts, and waiting to make a right turn (as opposed to a left).  It was quite excited.  I am very eager to learn and become a pro at it.  He talked about me getting a Northern Ireland driving license.  That would be awesome.  My American driving license will do me fine for a year, but I’d like to get the Northern Ireland one.  We shall see. 

I also had my first counselling appointment this morning.  I’ll be paying £5 a week.  They asked what I could afford, so that’s what it is.  It is a woman named Yvonne who I will be seeing.  I will not see her again until the 6th of October due to our schedules and what not, but that only means we miss one week. She seems nice enough, so we’ll see how it goes. 

Yesterday was an exciting day as well.  Jay and I are officially together.  That’s pretty nifty.  I
haven’t been in a relationship in a long while, so I feel kind of like I don’t know what I’m doing, which sounds kind of silly, but we’ll just see how we go. 

The morning with the children was calm enough and went by rather quickly.  Mind you, I did miss the first bit b/c of counselling and all, but still.  I changed nappies today, which was fine.  Although, even though I wash my hands after every change, I still feel a bit dirty and poopy.  Ah well. 

Tonight we have to color in the certificates for the children who are ending their time here at Quaker Cottage.  As soon as this scanner is working, I’m going to sort that one out, b/c it’s a little ridiculous the amount of time we spend coloring these things in, and it’s all very last minute, so it’s not like a whole lotta TLC going on with them. 

I am going on a day trip this weekend (Saturday) to the Giant’s Causeway.  It’s a big rock formation or something….I don’t know, but the International Youth Hostel does a minibus tour up there, so I’ll be going along with that.  I’m also considering taking a course in counselling at the Lifelong Learning Centre at Queen’s University Belfast.  I phoned them today and found out that I would qualify for concession (a discounted rate) on account of my being a volunteer, so that would make it £25.  It meets Tuesday nights 7-9 pm.  I phoned up b/c I won’t be able to go the first Tuesday since we’ll be at residential, but they said that was fine. 

I don’t think I’ve written yet about residential, but it is like a holiday with the mummies and kids.  There are about eight mummies and twenty five kids.  It starts on Tuesday, the 30th of September, and ends on Friday, the 3rd of October.  We will be working 24/7 during that time.  It seems a bit overwhelming, but I’m trying my best not to worry about it too much.  I’m just going to plan as well as I can and we’ll see how we go (I think I’ve said that more than once in this writing!)

Tomorrow is the start of our long stretch.  Mondays and Fridays we get off early, but Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday we have after school kids as well, and we don’t get done until 6 or 7:30.  I think I’ll take a nap now, I’m getting a little tired just thinking of it!  I’ve had an exciting day, though, so like the wee ones, I get wiped out from all the excitement.  See you later, gators! :-)

Pasted in from archived geocities page 8/21/14
http://sabrinigreen.geo.do/september.html

No comments: