Saturday, February 16, 2013

If you want to make God laugh...

Tell Him your plans.

So, I just wrote about all my plans to go to law school in the UK and the next day, I get a second interview for a teaching fellowship here in the US. I just thought that was kind of funny. I'm happy to have the opportunity, for sure, but my timing is often questionable.

I'm still going to apply for the LLB degree program in the UK and fill out the financial paperwork. I'm still going to go to this interview and see where that leads me. Neither one is guaranteed, but hopefully, one of them will work out.

This reminds me a lot of 2003, when I applied for the position in Belfast and another position in Chicago. I got both positions and decided on Belfast. I was a bit nervous because of my perception of Northern Ireland (the troubles), but I plunged ahead. It was one of the best decisions of my life. Being in Belfast really changed me. Unfortunately, being back in the US for this long has taken some of those changes away (the US breeds fear), but it was still a great experience. And I know there is another way I can live that doesn't involve constant fear, that is more laid back, that can roll with the punches.

While I am doing better and making plans and taking the steps to get to where I want to be, I still have some major down time. I still get discouraged and want to curl up in a ball. I wish there was someone to help me through all these processes. I'm always the one who will help others with resources and paperwork and red tape. I want someone to help me, now! At times it can seem daunting. But then, you think, "It's really just paperwork." So you fill out each form along the way, do some internet research, send emails and one day you're living your dream. Little by little, right? Because if you live your life all or nothing, you usually end up with a whole lot of nothing.

But now, about my day: Jenn texted and said she is going to the Grand Canyon in April, so I will be cat sitting for them again. So excited! I love cat sitting in the city. She had said they might not go because of the cost and I reminded her she could use miles for rental cars, too and so they're using their miles. Woohoo! Yeah, you'd think I was going or something. I just wanted them to go so I could have their condo for the week.

I dropped off eight boxes of cat food to Sandy's house for her cat, Louie. I got them free with a coupon tonight and dropped them off right away. Sandy called and said Louie hasn't stepped away from his bowl for several minutes. He's been eating people food, I guess. She said he's been out of cat food for quite some time. I'm going to see if I can scrounge up some more coupons to get more cat food for Louie.  Meow!

Oh, and the interview for the US position is in Indianapolis, about three 1/2 hours away. Jana said I could stay the night at her place, which is great. I messaged her on facebook tonight and found out that in addition to her husband and infant son, her mother, sister, and sister's two kids are living with her as well. Now, that's a full house. I asked if it would be too crowded, but she insisted it wouldn't be. I'm hoping to hitch a ride with a trucker from my old temp job who said that he drives to Indy every day. My hooptie isn't reliable enough for that journey. Of course, then I wouldn't have a car while in Indy, but we'll see what happens.

Lastly, I have watched this video about ten times today. It's a different variation of the cats playing pattycake video. This one is in French. Cracks me up.


No comments: