Saturday, April 21, 2007

Blessing - 40 days

Apparently, today is forty days since Mike died.  This is supposedly supposed to mark the end of the official "mourning" period, at least in one religion.  Tomorrow we are having a graveside service to bless the grave.  The priest is meeting us out there.  Mike's mom will plant some flowers.  I got Sandy to help me help her b/c I'm not exactly handy like that.

As for the forty day thing, I don't know if I believe that b/c I will miss him the rest of my life.  Although, today I did feel something different.  Whether it was a greater sense of acceptance, or what, I don't know.  Leaving his parents' house tonight, it was about midnight and I really felt like I might faint.  The weather, the lighting, the street, it was all so familiar, and it was like I was back in the day when we used to walk up and down those streets and hang out with our friends.  I was so overwhelmed with this feeling, like I really was in a different time or situation that I felt like I was going to pass out.  I tried to shake it off so I could get home, but as I walked up to my parents' house, the same thing happened.  I could see me and Mike on my front porch, I remembered what it felt like to cuddle inside his denim jacket.  I remembered the fights we had on that porch.  It was all coming at me at once and again, I thought I would faint.  I put my hand on the brick wall for support and now a new set of memories came forth.  My eyes started going to the back of my head and my knees began to buckle.  I eventually made it in the house alright.  My little stinkers got my mind off all that as soon as I got in here.  They are blessings.  Now I better get some sleep so I can get up for this other blessing tomorrow.

Copied from myspace blog 11/10/13

No comments: