Monday, December 08, 2003

Today it has been 21 years since MoMo, (my maternal Grandmother), died. She was 41. My mother sometimes tells me that I’m like her, especially in regards to my travels. She was a free spirit, indeed, but I wonder how much of the other traits of her I have. She had bouts of depression and was in several abusive relationships. From what I hear, she really lacked stability of any sort. My mother would come home from her friend’s house only to find that her mom had moved to another apartment. People may tell me I have “issues” when I explain that I do certain things because of something in my past, or that I don’t want to do something because it might make me anxious or depressed, but I really think that everyone has their own “issues”, and I just know what mine are. I know what I have to do or not do to keep myself mentally balanced. I see no problem with that. Maybe if MoMo had known, maybe if there were the right medications back then, maybe we would’ve been even more alike.

Every now and again, especially if I’m going through a hard time, I feel her presence. I really feel like she helps to guide me. Maybe now she is able to help me keep my free spirit positive. Or maybe I’ve just learned from her mistakes, and her accomplishments.

The last time I saw her, she was in the hospital. I was only a child, but somehow I knew that this would be the last time I would see her. I cried and cried when it was time to leave.

She was so young when she died, but she did live quite a life. Just looking at the photos of where she’s been and what she’s done has made me come to that conclusion. Four children and five granchildren (at the time of her passing). That alone is quite a legacy. But I am very sure that she came across so many people and left such a mark on their lives that she will not soon be forgotten.

Martha Jo, thank you.

No comments: