Wednesday, December 31, 2003

Ah, the New Year. I feel like I should be more excited about it being New Year's Eve, or that I should have some resolutions or something in mind. I guess I just feel like Ronan when he told me today, "it's just another day, and there will be another day after that and 364 more after that." I wonder if he feels the same way about Valentine's Day....

Talked to my friend Angie today. I haven't spoken to hear since I moved to Northern Ireland. She lives just around the corner from my parents' house and I've only gotten hold of her today. Her wedding plans are set in motion, and I am to get measured by the dress shop during my time here. The bridesmaids dresses will probably be red, which is awesome, 'cause that's the color I wanted for my wedding dress, so I told Angie I'll just use this dress. Mmmhmm. Now all I need is a city permit to get married at Buckingham Fountain and a groom.

My brother, Adam, and his girlfriend, Becky, got me a $100 gift card from Borders. I went and spent all but $17 of it the other day. I got two CDs - Tracy Chapman, Collection and the Amelie Soundtrack. I got a Lonely Planet Scotland guide and Mom got a book she's been wanting for at least a year, since my aunt recommended it to her. So now I have just enough to go back and have some coffee. Yumm.

Last night, me and the fam went out to dinner at Cracker Barrel. I had the much loved french toast with maple syrup. Mmmm. There's only one place I know of in Belfast where I can get french toast served that way. It's typically not eaten as a sweet dish there. The meal ended with chocolate cobblers almost all around. I didn't realize until after the server left that I was supposed to order one even if I didn't want it so that everyone could have some of mine. Doh!

I spoke to my friend Diana the other day. We used to live in the co-op together. She's still there and was filling me in on all the scoop, but mostly we talked about traveling. She said that everything seemed to be going well for me and congratulated me on what I've done in the past year. It kind of took me back a bit, b/c I feel like I'm always getting slack for the way I'm choosing to live my life, even if it's just for this short period of time. Jason and Ronan wind me up about not having any money and not having a "proper job" and my brothers and Dad get on me about being poor and my Mom just keeps her thoughts to herself these days. The point being, that b/c of that conversation with Diana, I thought, "yeah, everything is going well." And it was nice to not have to defend my actions for once in my life!

Well, little Licorice is stinky as ever as he sits here at my feet chewing on his chew toy thingie. I get hives wherever he licks me and have started showing other symptoms of allergies. He's now not allowed upstairs in my room and I no longer pet him with my hand, I use my foot! Hey, he likes it just the same. There's a humidifier in my room as well which helps a lot. I offered to go home early, but Mom surprised me by saying she'd rather have me here than the dog. Well, the dog is still here, bless his soul.

No comments: