Saturday, December 20, 2003

Christmas shopping! Yippee! Nothing puts me in the spirit more than spending money on the most important people in my life, beginning with myself! I bought a skirt to wear on New Year’s Eve, a top I may or may not wear with it, a ring, earrings, oh and stuff for other people, too! ;-)

Peter is our own St. Nicholas up here on the mountain. He put up Christmas decorations earlier in the week and just finished decorating our tree and starting a fire for us here in the living room. (In the fireplace, of course!)

I also finally got some stamps and air mail stickers to send my Christmas cards. Sure, they’ll be late, but they’ll just stretch out that Christmas joy.

I got two rolls of film developed today. They cost a bloody fortune b/c I got them one hour, but if I had done it any other way, I may not have gotten them before I go home. Anyhow, a mix of photos from here at the Cottage, my summer in England and my parents’ house in Hammond.

Of course I’ve learned a lot from my work here in Belfast, but I also learn about other cultures and practices from my roommates. For example, I learned that December 6th is St. Nikolaus day. People put their boots outside their bedroom door and St. Nikolaus come around and puts small gifts in them. St. Nikolaus also has a sidekick called Knecht Rupreche who beats the children who were bad this year. So, on the 6th you get some small presents. Eva’s mum sent her a package for this holiday that was filled with chocolates. Yummy.

Oh and Happy Hannukah to everyone. May all have a good night.

No comments: