Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Spring is coming, just not here yet

Today is the first day of Spring. It is actually quite cold outside. Spring will arrive soon, though. It always does.

These birds are rule breakers
There has been a lot going on that I haven't had the time nor inclination to post about. The two biggest things are that I had a job interview in Indianapolis, and my mom's aunt passed away.
The job interview was about two and a half hours away, but for a position where I currently live. I stayed with my friend, Jana, who I've known since 6th grade and who was my roommate in college. It was St. Patrick's day weekend, so we went to visit the dyed green canal in Indy. She has a six month old baby, so our celebrations were tamer than perhaps they could have been, but it was fun nonetheless. We also went to a restaurant called, "Cheeseburgers in Paradise", and they had veggie burgers, which was awesome. What was even more awesome was the drink they serve by the same name as the restaurant. It's a multi-layered drink with daiquiri, pina colada and not even sure what else in it, but it was delicious. To add to the drunken debauchery, another night, I made mimosas for everyone at the house. We played Apples to Apples, ate pizza and cheesy poofs and drank mimosas from shamrock shaped straws - like a boss. 
Orange slice boat and gummy cheeseburger
The interview went well (it was before all the fun stuff, I couldn't relax before that). It lasted four hours and included teaching a sample lesson twice. The second time using feedback from the interviewer. I was so nervous the day before getting ready for my trip, I was literally shaking. It made me realize how much I have changed. I was less nervous in Edinburgh, Scotland moving to Manchester, England with £5 in my pocket. Here I was breaking down over a 2 1/2 hour drive in a rental car, no less? I sucked it up and once I got down there, I started to feel like my old self again. It was nice. 

While there, I learned that my mom's aunt passed away. I did not know her, as she lived in Texas, and her and my mom didn't talk very much after my Grandma died. However, it is still sad that my Grandma's sister is no longer here. It's another piece of her gone, I feel like. I'm also sad that she and her other sisters, who live in Chicago, weren't able to reunite before her death. I had offered before to drive the Chicago sisters down to Alabama and have her meet us there. My cousin wasn't interested, though, and I really didn't have the money to do it on my own, so it didn't happen. (My great aunts would not get on planes). It also reminded me that I really need to keep in touch better with my Chicago aunts. I see them about once a year. I am actually going to see them next week, which will also be their birthday. I want to plan something nice and maybe get more of the family together for it. We shall see. 

Since my great aunt passed away, I've connected on facebook with some cousins I've never known and another cousin I haven't talked to in over twenty years.

The 22nd will mark ten years since my Grandmother (on the other side of the family) passed away. The family hasn't been the same since she passed away. My dad has not been back to Alabama to visit any family since then, either. (My mom and I have gone a couple of times, since she also has family there). At night when I say my prayers and ask that God bless and watch over each member of the family, I often still catch myself thinking of asking for her, even though she's been gone this long. I guess now she can help watch over us. I just looked at the date of birth on her memorial and it made me smile to remember that is now little Emma's birthday. Named after her and born on her birthday, 84 years later.

Two years after she died, she got another great-grandchild from my oldest cousin. Six years after she died, she got another; her namesake. Life goes on. New generations are born. It may not be right then, but it will happen. It always does.

No comments: