Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Nine Inches

So, it snowed today. The meteorologists gave us a lot of advance notice for this snow. Schools were called off before a drop even fell. I thought it would be so funny if the reports were wrong and there would be no snow and the snow day was for naught. I just thought it would be interesting, but more importantly, I didn't want the snow.

In preparation for the snow I, like everyone else, went to the grocery store.

It wasn't too packed here. However, when I lived in Lafayette, Indiana, it was always packed before a snow storm. Always. The bread shelves would be nearly empty. Every single time. When I tried to figure out why, all I could come up with is that maybe the people at the store lived in more rural areas (though my stores were not in rural areas) so they would have a hard time getting out (lack of snow plows). The other factor that I noticed was that snow removal by the city was horrible down there. I could not understand how a city of that size could suck so badly at clearing the streets of snow. When I lamented this to my former co-worker, she said, "I guess it's just because we're better at driving in the snow." Really? You think your government says, "Well, our citizens know how to drive in this stuff, we don't really need to hurry up and plow it."

I was up at 6 this morning, with my car already parked on the side street from the night before, and still not a drop. I was beginning to think that maybe my prediction was right; the snow would miss us. I had an appointment in the afternoon, so I was hoping I wouldn't have to dig out to get there. I fell asleep and got a call around 9:30. It was the person I was meeting, who needed to reschedule due to a schedule conflict. No problemo. She mentioned the snow was just now starting. I looked out the window and saw the accumulation beginning. Now I was even happier she had to reschedule. I wrote down the new details in my planner, looked out the window again and smiled as I got back under my covers.

When all was said and done we got about nine inches. Not the foot of snow that was predicted, but still a significant amount. I missed all the fun by staying in bed under my covers. ;-) I imagine that by now the roads are all cleared and salted and I hope that by the time I do have to venture out of the house it is all good in the 'hood.

No comments: