Monday, March 25, 2013

Short Attention Span Theatre

One of my fb friends posted something tonight that reminded me of this 'classic' video from 2007. (NSFW/Children/Homophobes)

Recently, I showed this video to my brother, who amazingly hadn't yet seen it. He was super annoyed by it and couldn't believe how long it was (that's what she said). It's about three and a half minutes long. He said it shouldn't be longer than thirty seconds. Now that I think about it, I don't think this video would have gotten as many hits had it come out now versus 2007. I mean, it's still getting tons of hits, but now the internet has much shorter attention spans. I was watching a funny cat/dog video today that was 30 seconds long and I fast forwarded to the end when I watched it again. Twitter limits posts to 140 characters. Not words - characters. I don't even know if that includes hash tags or links. If so, then that really limits the actual message. Anything longer on any type of social media, internet, etc. get a TLDR (too long; didn't read)

I actually had that reaction from some people back in 2009 with the lamebook post, "Jason's Monster Fail". The image itself is long for some attention spans, but when the comments (now removed, since the post was removed from lamebook) reached in the hundreds, and became part of the drama, even Ronan said he got bored reading it. Others wrote they had spent hours reading it! When one my former high school classmates saw it and I asked him what he thought, he said, "There's too many words." (More about the lamebook fiasco). And here.

And it wasn't just me trying to show them something, "funny". It was about MY LIFE! On display in a viral way. But it was TL;DR. (Mind you, Ronan found it on his own and emailed me about it. He thought it was about Belfast Jason (his 'nemesis') but still got bored!)

But there was show on Comedy Central called, Short Attention Span Theater, that I loved! It showed comedy clips instead of a comedian's whole set, or instead of whole episode of something. That was long before youtube or twitter! I guess I had the Short Attention Span before it was cool? And now that I'm old, I'm shaking my old lady stick at it. Maybe.



No comments: