Sunday, March 10, 2013

Easter basket packing party

Today was the Easter basket packing party for the volunteer group I work with. We packed nearly 100 Easter baskets for children in hospital and foster care in our area. I had purchased most of the supplies (like baskets, Easter grass, toys, etc.) last year after Easter when things went down to 90% off. I also got a couple of boxes of plastic Easter eggs and miscellaneous other items donated from a store when they pulled it off the sales floor. I need to remember to write them a thank you letter. I want to include a photo of the group as well. We still have tons of plastic eggs left and some grass, but we barely had enough baskets to go around. And despite my worry that we would be low on cellophane (to wrap the baskets), we had some left over. I was only able to get about 12 baskets worth last year on clearance. Luckily, others brought some and I ordered a 100 foot roll of it, too. At the event, though, I was pretty low key. I didn't do a whole lot of actually packing, just a few baskets and a little wrapping. I'm more the shopping guru. Oh, and worked a little bit with the kids who came to help. We made some of the Christmas cards for Operation Christmas Child (a project later in the year).

When I came home, I finished my taxes. Yay! I think this is the earliest I have ever had my taxes done. I had to fax them for my insurance today, so I had to get them done. Now to work on my lesson plan for the interview on Thursday.

But first, doctor appointment in the morning for a check up. Had the blood drawn on Friday. Which, by the way, sometimes when I tell a phlebotomist to take blood from my hand instead of my arm, they take it as a challenge to find the vein in my arm. Such was the case on Friday, but thankfully, after one attempt, she gave up. I was seriously about to pass out when she put it in the arm because it just goes nowhere and I remember all the times people looked for veins in vain (see what I did there) and the pain of it all. I think she saw that, too, because she asked if I was okay. I will be okay when you put the needle in my hand, please, kthx.

Back to happy thoughts. It was a good day today. Lots of people coming together to help others. Good times. Now here is a picture I took when I got home of me with my own Easter bunny. Happy Easter! (Probably the earliest I've ever said that, too). Note: I bought the bunny for Emma a couple of years ago, but she didn't like it so much, so I adopted it. 

No comments: