Saturday, May 12, 2007

Eurovision Song Contest

This was something  I found out about while living in
England.  Every year there is a song contest amongst European countries, it is televised live and the winner gets bragging rights for a whole year.  Yippee!  Here's a link to an article about this year's contest.  Apparently, jolly ol' England didn't fare too well.  I remember watching it in Manchester with my Ukrainian roommate and she taught me that 1.) you do not refer to the country and "the" Ukraine, it is just Ukraine 2.) If she was a fair representation, I would guess that lots of folks watch this annual song contest. Oh and the country which wins, hosts the ceremonies the following year.  Unless its unsightly, then they just pick someplace else.  Okay, I'm just kidding about the last part, but only partially.  I vaguely remember something about not having it somewhere b/c it was offensive to their culture, but now I'm thinking that was Miss Universe.  D'oh.  And the 2004 Ukrainian song was pretty cool.  Nice and catchy, though I can't remember it at all now, just remember what I thought of it.  Guess those bragging rights don't last too long.


















Pasted in from myspace blog on 3/23/14

No comments: