Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I am really annoyed. I am going on vacation this week because my boss is getting on my nerves.
How would you like it if your boss talked to you all the time about how you get on with your neighbours and whether or not you've paid your bills on time? Oh wait, come to think of it, he's not even my boss. My boss is actually based in the Manchester head office and I am supposed to have supervision meetings with her. And then there is the other person with whom I'm supposed to meet with, the chairperson, but he is a mirage seen only every now and again, and just when you think you've got a good view, poof, it's gone. And then of course, there is the Volunteer Director, who has been on leave for two months now. She is back in the office, but when I phoned to speak to her, the secretary was playing gatekeeper and wouldn't put me through. I left a message and a week later, I've still not heard from her.

How about this, folks? Come live on a ghetto council estate in one of the worst areas of the whole of northwest England, work with children with behavioural problems, get shit about it from your neighbours, no support from any member of management, a chastisement anytime you ask to go to a training, and oh yeah, live on £55 a week. How does that sound? Yes, please, sign me up!!!

Yet these people seem to think they are doing ME a favour. Okay, I'll stop abusing your goodwill and leave this oasis of beauty of tranquility and let you manage the forty two young people, organize work projects and trips, recruit adult volunteers from the estate and build them up so they become confident enough to start to make a real contribution to the youngsters. Go on. I've really taken enough from you kind folks already. What with the posh flat with a leaking roof, a broken door, and a wooden door acting as my bed, I really ask too much. Oh and the washing machine with no handle, the three legged table in the kitchen, the broken lamp and nightstand, I've been far too greedy.

No comments: