Friday, June 25, 2004

Here's a cool nineties site.

Don't you hate it when you're watching TV or playing on the computer and you really have to go pee but you think you'll just wait to the commercial or whatever, but then you wait longer and before you know you REALLY REALLY have to go. Why do I do that? Why don't I just go the first time the feeling strikes me?

I received a package from my mum today. In it was a letter from my friend Angie with details about all I need to know to be a bridesmaid at her wedding. This is more complicated than I thought; especially when I am in a different country until the day.

I am looking at classmates.com. I only look at this site when I am not in America. When I am in America, in the midwest region, I tend to avoid people I went to school with like the plague. Don't get me wrong, enjoyed school and all, but I just hate 1.) the comments on how much weight I've gained 2.) explaining why I'm not married, in a serious relationship, or don't have any children 3.) why I live abroad 4.) explaining that yes, I am still a vegetarian. It's like I have to argue all these points and why should anyone have to argue their beliefs at any time, but especially to someone you haven't seen in 10 years who just run into at the supermarket. Crikey.

Right, so the point was, I check it out when I am outside of the country. It makes me feel closer to home; which is not always a good thing!

I'm also amazed at how many people's names I just do not remember. It's weird. My school wasn't big or anything, and pretty much everyone knew everyone, but I read the names, and think "that sounds familiar..." but have no idea who the person is.

Well, England lost last night :-( Out of Euro 2004. It was a good game, though, and went into double overtime and then penalties. Ronan was more than happy to see me upset at England losing, as his favourite team is anyone who plays England.

Speaking of Ronan, I just got back from Derry, Northern Ireland, this afternoon. I flew out of City of Derry airport, which is teeny tiny, and for the first time, rode on a propeller aircraft. I got really nervous when I saw a plane land and it had space for about four people. I looked around the departure lounge and saw only three of us. Uh, oh. I remembered my Dad telling me about his experience in a small plane, and he didn't like it one bit. I made a decision then and there to stick with the bigger airports, even if it was a longer drive! When the plane did arrive (my plane, I mean) it looked huge in comparison, which made me feel much better. It was all fine and dandy. I really think Derry is a great city, though, so here's a link to the youth hostel as well.

As I rolled my suitcase along the estate on my way back this evening, a group of lads from my youth project came up and asked if I was leaving. I was a bit confused because I didn't know if they were referring to my leaving in a couple of weeks or just inquiring about the suitcase. Anyhow, they seemed to think it was pretty cool that I just got back from Northern Ireland.

On my way here to the office, I ran into some more of my kids and they all had found out about my leaving. I sat outside and chatted with them for about a half hour. It was nice. I will miss the kids, they have been the best part of this experience by far.

No comments: