Monday, January 12, 2004

Today I looked very much like an American. I felt like I was dressing up as an American for Halloween or something - with my tie-dyed Hard Rock Cafe shirt, track suit bottoms, baseball cap, I was the epitome of American gear. I also had my (American) accent back totally for like a day, before the Belfast brogue started slipping back in. As you can tell, I still have my American way of communicating with 'like' and 'totally' and don't even get me started with 'dude'.

In a strange twist of fate, the cab driver I had today remembered me from driving me home like months ago. I didn't remember him, which I usually do, but he remembered I was from Chicago and everything. Interesting.

Peter's friends are here from Germany, so I am the only person in this house right now who is not speaking German. I wish I could. Peter just came in and said something to Eva in German. I knew what he was saying from the context and wished I could reply in German, but I had to settle for English. I know a little bit of a few languages, and there are just some sayings I like in certain languages. For example, "Qu'est-ce qu'il y a?" in French - meaning 'what's wrong?' or 'what's the problem?' In Japanese - "Ohisashiburi desu ne" means "I haven't seen you for ages". The longer you haven't seen someone, the longer you hold out the last syllable (which is pronounced NAY). Pretty cool, huh? Or, German - Geshundheit when someone sneezes. Eva just explained that it means 'health'. The Irish 'Slainte' which also means health, but is a toast when drinking.

I really want to study French again and become fluent. I would really love to study multiple languages. I have been looking more into law school over here and some offer a combo with French. I'm supposed to be able to complete the degree in a shorter period of time since I already have a bachelor's degree. Law, here, is an undergraduate degree.

I spoke with the representative from the volunteer project in England and discussed their organization possibly sponsoring me to volunteer here in Belfast at the Community Centre I like. I also got a message from the Scottish organization to ring them tomorrow so we can arrange my visit. I filled out an application for a Christian peace centre here in Northern Ireland, about an hour away from Belfast. I just want to know if I'm accepted, visit them all, and then choose. Like by the end of this week would be ideal. I feel like I'm just drawing things out here at the Cottage and I'm really, really ready to move on.


********************************
Don't make it a big deal, don't be so sensitive.
We're not playing a game anymore, you don't have to be so defensive.
Sleep to dream - Fiona Apple

No comments: