Thursday, June 14, 2007

Surliness

Have you ever watched the TV show, House?  I was watching a rerun of it the other night.  The main character, Dr. House is a surly guy who is rude to everyone and believes in nothing, but who is uber smart and can diagnose things others can't.  So he has no friends except for one poor oncologist.  In the episode I just saw, this friend just lets House have it and tells him, "you just want to push this friendship so far until it breaks and then you can again believe that relationships are crap and you have no need for them" or something like that.

Anyhow, House gets the picture and stops abusing his friend, well, for like serious illegal things anyways.  But it got me to thinking about a friend of mine who is just as surly and does not believe in anything, whether its fate or God or the goodness of people.  I initially thought it was pretty cool b/c it was different from anything I'd come across - but years on it's like, wow, how long can you stay so jaded?  Yeah, I was once jaded and doubted many, many things, but that was my post adolescence.  By now, at nearly 30 I've come to believe in things after I looked at the other side and made an informed decision, whether it was rational, irrational, whatever.  But this person seems to look down on me for having beliefs.  At first I felt bad about it,  but now I see this person like House - a glutton for punishment who doesn't want to need anyone or anything.  Sad, really.


Pasted in from myspace blog 3/23/14

No comments: