Monday, July 04, 2005

Not tonight, hon, I've got a headache

I was so excited to be here, in America, for the 4th of July this year. It started off well enough, with my cousins from Tennesse coming over for a visit and we had fun (as shown in the photos below). Once we bid them adieu and night fell, though, my feelings changed and suddenly I wanted to be far, far away.

My head is killing me from all these frigging fireworks!

They are just popping off everywhere. People are in their front yards, backyards, driveways, wherever they can find, they are out there lighting explosives, often with small children with them. The air is smoky, but mostly what bugs me is that even though I am in my house, with my doors and windows closed, I can still here each and every firework set off within a few block radius. I put a pillow over my head and still I hear it. I go to the room with the fewest windows, no relief. I can't even see straight right now b/c of this headache. I keep having to go back and correct myself b/c I'm transposing words. And despite it being legal to sell and purchase fireworks in Indiana, it is illegal to light them. Somehow, I don't see this rule being enforced. Though, they could make a lot of money if they started writing tickets. However, I think they would have more serious problems on their hands if they pissed off a bunch of people with a penchant for lighting dynamite!

No comments: