Monday, May 08, 2006

If Heaven ain't a lot like Dixie

Alabama. The home of my ancestors. I had the great pleasure of visiting my ancestral state this past week. It was awesome! Nothing like red dirt and country pride. I got to see my relatives which is always nice and I heard Hank Williams, Jr. on the radio. To make it even more interesting, I drove to my Grandmother's old house in the woods all by myself! Didn't even use mapquest. I was so proud of myself. This was the first time I had been back to Alabama since Grandmother died three years ago, so it was bittersweet, of course, but I was able to visit her grave.

There have been lots of changes out there in the woods. Most of the roads are paved now, or at least have gravel instead of red dirt. They have "city" water, instead of well, they have 911 service, the roads are named and *drum roll* garbage pick up! Taking out the garbage used to mean hauling it in the back of the truck and driving down to the dump and hurling it over the edge. Now they actually provide a plastic bin and come pick it up for you. Will the progress ever stop?

I got to see my uncle's first born, a daughter who is now a year old. She is gorgeous. It is a bit surreal, though, because she looks a lot like I did when I was that age (I can only recall from pictures, of course) so it kind of feels like I got a glimpse into what it was like for all the family when I first came around. Weird.

When I say my roots are in Alabama, I mean my roots are really deep there! My Mom and Dad's side of the family are both from Alabama. Also, both of their sides of the family are from Alabama. I have a feeling it goes even farther back, but you get the idea.

On my Dad's side of the family, my aunt is now living in my Grandmother's house. As we sat on her porch, I noticed a fence across the road. What in the world would someone put a fence up for out here? Well, cows of course. The neighbor down the road has invested in some cows, and when they made their way over to our neck of the woods, I went up and took pictures of them. Oh and I said "moo". You gotta talk in their language, ya know?

Anytime we were driving and there were animals, my mom or aunt would say, "cows" or "horses". My mom and I were discussing the difference between a jackass, donkey and a mule... Deep thoughts. Oh and when a really big insect reached its demise on our windshield, my mom would say, "splat". Okay, it probably doesn't sound funny, but I'm laughing just typing it. Guess you had to be there.

Traveling with my mom also made me realize how many inside jokes she and I share. I stopped to explain so many of the times she and I would burst into laughter. My dad's sister couldn't believe that me and my mom would drive across the country by "ourselves" but I don't see why it is so surprising that two grown women would go to visit relatives. I guess it would've been more acceptable if a man had been with us, like my dad or brother.

On our way back home, Mom was so excited about getting home and seeing the dogs and the family. (Yes, I know I wrote dogs first) I, on the other hand, was going back to my empty apartment. No licks on the face for me! I was really jealous and considered driving up to her house, even though it is out of my way, but sucked it up and reveled in the fact that I didn't have another two hours to get home and took a nap. Nothing like it to make me feel better.

I have lots of pictures, which I hope to share soon. I know you'll be waiting with bated breath to see those cows! :-)

Love ya,
Sabby :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

More Posts! I miss you

Anonymous said...

More Posts!! I miss u