Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Today the kids got to me. I am usually really calm and never get upset. I didn't lose my cool, but I just told them that it was their choice whether or not they were here and if they didn't want to participate, no one was keeping them there. At that point, three of them left, which still left about seven kids. I just don't know how to get the right number of kids. One week there's fifteen, the next there's two. I can't properly plan. Even when I plan for other possible scenarios, it just doesn't seem to work. The problem with today was that it started off slow, with only two kids there, so I kind of set up the project to work best that way then all of the sudden ten more come to the door in quick succession. I was able to split into three groups and then do a large group activity outside, but b/c I didn't have the latecomers' attention from the beginning, it all just went haywire. The volunteer I had with me didn't help matters. He's been the chairperson of this for years and he doesn't even know many of the names of the children. I don't know, I'm just annoyed, and not at the kids, b/c they are just being kids. I'm annoyed with myself for not planning properly, I'm annoyed at the lack of training and I'm annoyed at the lack of support. My co-volunteer is set to be here in a couple of days, so hopefully that will help matters. I guess I am just going to have to plan every day as if fifteen will turn up and go from there. It helps to have more than one other adult here as well. There's a committee meeting tomorrow night and I suppose I can bring this up there. That's another thing, the week I had four adult volunteers, only one child showed up! Oh well. I'd rather be overprepared, though...

No comments: