Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Give a mouse a cookie

Despite working at a high poverty school, my students can be very ungrateful at times. They are definitely not shy about asking for more. Here are some instances I've come across in just the last couple of months as a high school teacher;

Buying Jimmy Johns for student and him asking me to heat it up for him, making a special trip to the other side of the school.

Did science fair project research for student; he lost it within an hour and told me to do it for him again.

Print off color photos for their project for another class and they complain about the quality, size, and/or want to go back and print more because they didn't realize how small they would print out.

Buying poster boards for them and them asking for a new one because they made a tiny mis-mark on theirs.

Saying, "it was only $1" when I asked them to not waste the colored electrical tape that I bought with my own money for their project.

Buying candy bars, sweet tarts, nerds, twizzlers and still having someone complain that I don't have the candy they like and/or there isn't enough of it.

Asking me to give up my lunch/prep time to help them, and additionally asking me to buy THEM lunch.

A student had their teacher call me and ask if they could come do their work in my office. I told them they could, but they had to come straight here, no bathroom, no locker and I would not let them leave once they got there. I go out in the hallway to see what is taking them so long, and see them coming out of the bathroom. "I can't even go to the bathroom? Forget it, I'm going back to class."

I was helping students with a geometry quiz. I haven't studied geometry in over 25 years. All I have to do is read the words to them and make sure they have a calculator. What I do, though, is provide them with an example for each section to jog their memory. As I'm looking through my notes to figure something out, they start talking to each other about non school related stuff. I tell them to keep it down. Thirty seconds later, again. Finally, I snap and say, "forget it, I'm not helping you. Do it on your own." They look at each other and me like I have lost my mind. 

No comments: