Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Fantasy

I used to have this fantasy. I was in a pretty flowered sundress; knee length, with a white cardigan. My red hair is long, mostly straight with just a few flawless curls from the curling iron.I am on a fantastic international trip; Northern Ireland to be exact, for a very important reason, like a seminar or class or training. I am in a local Tesco in Derry. I have to pick up a few essentials to bring back to the hotel. Who do I happen to come upon during my visit? Ronan working as a security officer. I see him before he sees me. I go up to him, pretending to be just another customer. As he turns around and sees me, I see the change in his eyes and face as her realizes who I am. I can't help but blush a little and smile. He's surprised that I'm there. He gives me a hug and starts asking about what brings me here. I tell him my very important task to complete whilst I'm there and we exchange pleasantries. I can tell by the way he looks at me that he's still in love with me. I can tell by the sadness behind his eyes that he's sorry I'm not his. I feel my heart pounding in my chest and all those butterflies I had when we first met come fluttering back, but I try my best not to show it. I am not the young girl I was once when we first met. I am a professional with a decade of life experience since we last touched. I now wear glasses and own a washer and dryer. I'm not here for you, Ronan. I'm here for my very important reason as part of my meaningful life (without you). Though I did know you worked here, and I may have come to this store with the hopes of seeing you, I don't want you to know that. The smile on your face that seeing me has brought to you and the fact that you so clearly want to be with me, but know that I will not take you back is what I have been hoping for. My appetite is satiated. I go on with my important, professional, adult life and smirk quietly to myself.

That is where my fantasy used to end. Now I have added:
Then I introduce him to my fiance, who is American, dashing, and a professional with a graduate degree, who is not intimidated by the fact that Ronan is my ex, but rather amused. He knows it was long ago and during the days of my roaring twenties and finds it interesting that I dated an Irishman. He gives Ronan a hearty handshake and then excuses himself to go find something in the store while Ronan and I finish our conversation. After he walks away, Ronan asks when is the wedding, and I tell him the date. I can tell he is sad as he tells me he is happy for me. He knew I would eventually find the one. In his heart, he is wishing it is him. In this fantasy, in my heart, I'm glad that I no longer wish that.

No comments: