Saturday, August 01, 2020

Graduated from law school - Montgomery, Alabama

I graduated from law school! In May of 2020, I finished the course work, but because of the pandemic, graduation was not held until August. Mom and Dad drove to Alabama from Indiana for the festivities. My brother, Brian, and his wife, Millisa, drove up from Tampa, Florida. Brian acted as my "hooder" which is the person who puts your hood (like a backwards necklace/scarf thing) on you.

Mom and Dad and I stayed in the hotel connected to where the graduation was held, the Renaissance at the Montgomery Performing Arts Center. Mom and Dad watched the live stream on the computer in the hotel room to minimize their exposure. Then they met us downstairs after the ceremony.


After we got some photos, we took a look around downtown Montgomery. We went to eat lunch at Mellow Mushroom. I had a well earned drink. 




After Mellow Mushroom, we went to the Hank Williams museum. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside the museum, but it contains the car he was riding in when he died back in the 1950s. They had some of his old outfits and it was really striking how petite he was. I did manage to get one photo in the gift shop and one outside the museum. 


Then we stopped at the Hank Williams statue. 
Then moved on to the Riverfront.
There was a boat down there that would go out but it was closed due to the pandemic so there wasn't anything to do there. The next day, we started the drive back to Indiana. Using the website roadsideamerica.com, we stopped at a place with a giant chicken outside. However, after getting gas and using the bathroom, we left because chicken was all they served which didn't suit this vegetarian. 
We didn't get our diplomas that day, but they came in the mail. I graduated with two degrees. A JD and an LLM in Dispute Resolution. I was so eager to get two degrees for the price of one! 

After I got home, there was no time for me to rest, though, because I still had to take the bar. It had been postponed because of the pandemic and software issues, so I had to take it on the 4th of August. I had graduated, studied hard, even during the drive, and had to try and give it my all. 






No comments: