Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Forever 12?

Last week, I was sitting in my master's level class with a group of professionals and when the teacher said the name of a diagnostic test was "Woodcock Johnson" some of us just burst into laughter. We are all really 12 year olds inside, I think.

I have never seen so many "Toms" shoes before working at my school. They are worn by the teachers, who are young, not long out of college. I think they are kind of ugly. But now I see them at the university with the other teachers and suddenly they start growing on me. I buy a pair of shoes from the clearance rack that look like Toms because now I suddenly like that style. 

Totally reminds me of when I was in 6th grade and everyone wore those god awful brown boat shoes. They would twirl the laces on the side to make them stick out instead of tying them. I thought they were hideous. Seriously. I couldn't imagine how anyone could ever wear them. But then they did. Every girl started getting these hideous shoes and doing that ridiculous knot. 

Suddenly I wanted a pair of these shoes. 

In one of my 8th grade classrooms today, one of the students let out a very silent but deadly fart. The kids fell over themselves trying to get away from the smell. At first I shook my head at their dramatic exit then I got a whiff and I quickly went to the other side of the room, trying not to inhale while laughing hysterically. 

The more things change, the more they stay the same. 

No comments: